PASR serves as a legislative watchdog for all of Pennsylvania’s public school retirees.
In the past, PASR has helped school retirees attain seven cost-of-living adjustments and had a hand in the creation of health insurance premium assistance which is now $100 a month, as well as many other legislative accomplishments.
PASR continues fighting on behalf of public school retirees. For the 2016-2017 legislative session, PASR would propose and assume a lead role in having introduced, passed, and signed into law the following initiatives:
Health Insurance/Premium Assistance—PASR will promote whatever legislation is required to maintain the current level of premium assistance that is provided to eligible retirees and to strengthen the Health Options Program (HOP) administered by PSERS.
Pension Contributors’ Protection Act—PASR will promote passage of legislation to prevent further abuse and political manipulation of the retirement systems that includes the following provisions:
- Charge Pennsylvania’s Auditor General with the responsibility of periodically reviewing the retirement system’s actuarial assumptions, projections, and practices.
- Require the Public Employee Retirement Commission to schedule public hearings on all proposals to amend the retirement codes before issuing its actuarial notes to the General Assembly.
- Require the legislature to provide no less than two weeks from when the Commission issues an actuarial note before either the House or Senate can vote final passage on a bill to amend the retirement codes.
- Empower the PSERS Board of Trustees to express opinions on proposals affecting the retirement system and enable PSERS to challenge legally those who might seek to force them to abdicate their fiduciary responsibilities. The PSERS Board of Trustees must be allowed to select and hire independent legal council and have greater control of its budget and decisions concerning the hiring and compensation provided to its employees.
- Increase from one the number of retired members who serve on the PSERS Board of Trustees.
Pension Reform Proposal—PASR will promote legislation to reduce the retirement systems’ unfunded liabilities and provide a COLA to retirees in greatest need. The proposal will include the following components:
- Strongly support preservation of the defined benefit plan of PSERS
- Support the Public Private Partnership Plan to reduce the unfunded liability of the public school and state pension systems
- Continue to advocate for an ad hoc cost-of-living adjustment for all school retirees.
PASR members and supporters help finance our efforts through L/PEC contributions. Each dollar we receive does make a difference.
L/PEC donations are used to:
- Promote establishment of positive relationships with legislators by educating them on the issues, attending their caucus events in Harrisburg, and sponsoring “meet your legislator” and “meet and greet” legislative candidates events in their districts.
- Interview candidates for public office and publicize their positions on issues of concern to all school retirees.
- Compile and publicize the voting records of officials serving in Harrisburg on issues of concern to retirees.
- Pay the expenses of producing and mailing information to keep volunteers and members informed on what is happening in Harrisburg.
Please donate today!